Monday, April 25, 2016

Rating of Bilbo Baggins (CarsonH)

I ranked my main character, Bilbo Baggins, towards the stronger side of the line chart. I did this because I believe he has grown a lot as a character. He's been (in my opinion) the most important member of Thorin's team. He has saved Thorin and Co. from all sorts of dangers, ranging from giant spiders to assisting in their escape from the Wood Elves. Recently, he has been even more crucial to the team, as he helped the dwarves scale Smaug's mountain and he stole a jar from him.

All of the ratings in our lit circle group were relatively similar. Spenser placed Bilbo on the center of the line rather than on the strong side (although this is partially due to the fact that he's further in the book than I am, but still). The rest of my group placed Bilbo on the stronger side because of the evidence mentioned above. 

I think Bilbo will move a little more on the line before the book ends. The dwarves still have to defeat Smaug the dragon and claim the underground kingdom as theirs once again. Bilbo could display more bravery here than ever before, but I don't know if this will actually happen or not. As I said before, Spenser is farther in the book than I am, so maybe Bilbo becomes less helpful in the last four chapters.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I disagree with you thinking that Bilbo has been weaker than you think. He still has been wishing that he was back home at his Hobbit hole making it show that he is weak. In every single dangerous thing that has happened Bilbo has questioned it wondering is he should do it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Bilbo goes to the weaker side of the line, will there be a reason behind it and would you be surprised??

    ReplyDelete