Monday, April 11, 2016

Bilbo Baggins! Am I The Only One Having A Hard Time Saying That?

Seriously who can pronounce this name?!  I am having a hard time saying this guy's name!  So anyway besides this horrible horrible name (it's only horrible because I can't say it!) he is not my favorite main character I've read.  I will admit though that it was very creative to have a main character in an adventure book who wasn't adventurous.  Reading about him trying to be a thief (a very poor one) is humorous and relatable.  When he leaves I think we all see ourselves in the act, a fleeting thought when we were a kid of packing a bag and running away to have adventures.  Even with all of that I think we can all feel for Bilbo when the dwarfs come in.  How rude!  I can just see Molly Weasley scolding the dwarfs if they ever went to her house like that.
My opinion on Bilbo is a bit mixed.  He doesn't have that adventurous feature I love in main character, while this is good for the book it just isn't what I usually want in a book.  He doesn't really appeal to me, but he does have those moments where it's like, "YES!  THAT'S MY HOMEBOY BILBO BAGGINS!  YOU GO BAGGINS!"  It is kinda slow paced but Bilbo makes it bearable.

(FUN FACT!) Bilbo Baggins and John Watson have something in common, their played by the same person!
And in the movie Benedict (Sherlock) plays Smaug.

2 comments:

  1. I think that's a little rude to say that about someone's name. However, I think that the dwarves were very rude barging in like that. Bilbo when he has his moments is cool because he doesn't kill dragons making it more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that his name can be a little hard to say at times. The dwarves were, admittedly, a bit rude as well when they just came into Bilbo's house without any notice beforehand. I also like how you included some fun facts. They really make this post more interesting!

    ReplyDelete