Monday, April 25, 2016

Bilbo Baggins: Strong or Weak

          I rated Bilbo Baggins towards the stronger side of the line.  I did this because I think that while he may have been weak at the beginning of the book, he has gotten stronger.  That improvement is something that deserves recognition.  He has performed many brave acts that are quite admirable.  
          Most of our group's ratings were in the general vicinity of each other.  All of us but one had Bilbo on the stronger side of the scale.  One of our group members placed Bilbo on the weaker side of the center of the scale.  They thought that he wasn't very strong.  I disagree with them because Bilbo has proven his new-found strength on numerous occasions.  
          I think that Bilbo will move farther up the scale because as the book has progressed, so has Bilbo's strength.  He has gotten more and more bold and has done more and more things that he would not have done at the beginning of the book.  In my opinion, Bilbo will rise to the challenge of the Elves and Lake-men advancing on the mountain.  However, it remains to be seen just how well Bilbo Baggins can rise to the occasion.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Bilbo has become stronger over the course of the book. Even though it was a big risk to join them on their adventure, he still wasn't very risky. I agree that he is doing more risky things because he probably wouldn't have fought spiders at the beginning of the book.

    ReplyDelete