Monday, April 25, 2016

Bilbo Baggins Strong or weak?

I rated Bilbo Baggins on the strong side mainly because of what he has been through, he conquered his fear of heights by riding an eagle, he defeated Gollum in a game of riddles or die, he saved his friends and himself from the castle of the elves. I think these things make him strong because it shows how he has progressed as a person since the beginning of the story where he was basically afraid of his own shadow. He also has overcame challenges that many of us "Big People" cannot such as facing his fears head on instead of running away from them.

I did not agree with some of my group members who marked as a weaker character mainly because of how much he has accomplished and what he's been through. I think his actions speak louder than the words he says because he always says how much he wants to go home, however he still perseveres no matter whats being thrown at him.

I think that Bilbo still has some room left for growth which may allow him to progress further up the weak to strong line. I think this because he still acts a little cowardly in the face of danger but he has almost become immune to his fears and I think this will help him reach a higher standpoint in the eyes of all of his readers.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you because as the story goes on he gets more moments where "we see" him in action, and as it goes on he gets less nervous and afraid and more willing to do bold things.

    ReplyDelete